There are many ways that you can arm your home when you are away. You can control your lights, see who is at your door and lots more. There are many products on the market that offer security, safety, and convenience.
The purpose of this document is not to recommend any specific product, instead to provide food for thought when purchasing a product or system. When a brand name is mentioned it is not an endorsement, it is as a reference to explain a product or service. The information that follows is meant to be generic and provide a high level view and a few options.
Types of products or systems
- Can be Professional and DIY installation
- Allows you to see what is going on and answer door when not at home
- Video doorbells offer HD cameras: The camera lets you view any visitor through the app so that you know who is visiting and why they are there.
- Two-way audio: you see your visitors, but you can also speak with them
- Motion detection: lets you know if someone is meandering on your property.
- Mobile access: use your phone and to communicate with someone at your front door from anywhere
Ring is a product. In Howard County videos can easily be shared with police department. The Ring product has led to arrests.
Spot / Flood lights
- An outdoor light when fitted with motion sensor and/or video camera can be a useful tool and deterrent. These lights can have similar functions as video doorbells.
- They can be tied to existing system or work independently.
Electric / Battery / Solar
- If you don’t have electric and would like to have a motion light, no problem, many products are available using battery or solar power
- A nice product but often over looked. these bulbs look and function like regular light bulbs, the difference is they are activated with motion and will go off if no motion detected (approximately 10 minutes).
- Use next to entry door of home – gives you light to use keys, turns on lights for guests.
- Use in a closet, workshop or basement. Walk in, bulb turns on. Walk out of room, in 10 minutes the bulb will go off.
Battery Backup Rechargeable Lightbulbs
- These bulbs look and function like regular light bulbs. The difference is when electric power is interpreted; the bulb will come on and run on the battery. Nice in a power outage
Window / Door Sensors
- Can be tied to a system to set off alarm and call police or nothing more than a audible tone if a window or door opened
- Neighbors is an app launched by Ring, it’s free to download and use, and lets people share, view and comment on crime and security information in their communities.
Home Security Service Provider
- Generally professionally installed
- Proprietary equipment
- Month rates or Contracts
- Professional monitoring
- Lots of options
- Comprehensive service
U.S News and World Report did an in-depth article on various home security products.
The information is found at https://www.usnews.com/home-security
There are many other resources with reviews on home security, take your time to find what is best for you. One size may not fit all. Check customer reviews, they may be the most helpful when selecting your product.
At our community meetings we have discussed the Ring product. The Howard county police was also a quest speaker and spoke about the Ring Neighbors App and Ring Product.
For information on the Ring Neighbors App – Click here.
Details in the Ring product – Click here.